Saturday, February 19, 2011

Tactless/Tactful

One thing I notice about Malaysians is we're very hostile people. We get mad easily, we jump to conclusions like it's our job, and we're very presumptuous.

Maybe I'm over-generalizing.

Today we had a meeting with a representative from medical school, along with a MARA officer, a JPA officer, and Dublin's Education Attache. In this meeting, we were given an opportunity to raise any particular concern about the medical school to the representative, with the hope for change.

The poor lady got bombarded with questions and requests, some of us practically ATTACKED her. Maybe they didn't mean to, but man, their tone of voice were sometimes just downright unacceptable. In my opinion, no matter how much we think we deserve the help, as long as that person is not clearly denying us our rights and especially if that person is trying their best to help out, we should never, ever, raise our voice or use an accusing tone.

Being Irish, I wouldn't be surprised if that smiling, calm woman would call a friend or colleague within two steps out of the lecture hall to bitch about how she had to stand there in front of nearly a hundred malaysians for more than an hour to listen to their demanding complaints.

Also, call me a stuck up or over skema or whatever you like, but I think people who talk about trivial things with anything more than a whisper during events are disrespectful and have no manners.

Ya, saya memang banyak protokol. My grandfather taught me well.

No comments: