Wednesday, July 1, 2009

back from the trip; alive, kicking and free from the flu

Hello darlings.

at this point I'm sure a lot of you stopped checking my blog already. I'm sorry I've been neglecting this blog kesayangan. I wrote a note on facebook about the Bangkok trip which I will paste below for recording purposes, as I believe I have all of you on my facebook. There's a gazillion pictures up on facebook too, I didn't upload any because my Thai cousin's album is public, so I can just tag my face on her album.

don't give up on me okay, I won't stop writing. I just need a break to catch up on my workload and life in general after the 5 days worth of holiday.

I miss you and I'll write soon.


Summer 2009 : Falling in love with Thailand.

Hey people. I don't usually write here, it's too public for my liking. I have a private blog that is now starving to death from my lack of contribution, just like my Neopet.

Anyway.

I thought I'd make this one an exception, because I want my Thai cousins to be able to read it.

I went to Bangkok with four of my sisters last week...the 25th to be exact. My sisters have already met most of the Thai relatives we're meeting up with, but I know none of them. I have faint memories of going to Pattani when I was a little girl, playing fireworks and riding a motorbike with this Thai boy I no longer remember the name of (Kakwe told me his name, but I forgot again, me being the Atiqah that I am)...and I have faded images of the older Thai generation who came and visited my grandfather quite frequently.

But I went to Ireland and I wasn't home in Malaysia when the younger generations started to come over to the Ketani family events. I had no idea who these people are, except for Abe A who contacted me on Kakwe's request, to help me with the rough days of my first year in medical school.

We were greeted by a cheerful Tok Yang at the airport, looking young as ever despite being in her 60s. Luckily she drives a Toyota Wish, so all five of us could fit in her ride. She took us on a tour around the city, showing us Thammasat University (Tokku's alma mater) and telling us little interesting anecdotes like a professional tour guide.

At this point of the note I begin to realize that if I am to write about the whole five day trip, this note is going to be three friggin miles long and nobody will have the patience to read it, what's with my dwindling reversed sentences and whatnots.

Well anyway I met most of the crew. They did a fantastic job playing host for us, making sure all our needs are catered and feeding us at every chance possible with fantastic Thai food. Okay I used the word fantastic twice. Lack of vocab alert.

They came despite feeling unwell, they came despite having to work the next day, they came despite being post-call. We are humbled by their hospitality and warmth. We are dumbfounded by their kindness, and thoughtfulness, and frankly we also feel a bit anxious that we might not be capable of returning the favour even if we give our ultra best.

We experienced the Thai culture, bought a LOT of very nice clothes from the streets and malls of Bangkok, and most importantly we found ourselves a whole new set of family.

This bond, this adoration that I feel for the people that I meet within those five days, is something that I will cherish for a long, long time. The instant chemistry we had was proof that the same blood runs in our veins.

Thank you to Tok Yang, who brought us to Jim Thompson outlet and made us delicious bread.
To Ji Rin, who took us all around Bangkok, humouring us by being her cheerful self.
To Pi Kung, for coming all the way from Pattani and for being so patient with our many antics.
To Pi Pu, who swept me off my feet with her eloquence and femininity.
To Abe A, who fell asleep standing in the train because he was on call the night before.
To Pi Pla, who translated the tour guide at the palace in Hua Hin.
To Pi Kai, for bringing the impossibly adorable Alesya.
To Tuan, who took wonderful pictures with his DSLR.
To Mukmin and Nureen who we never got to say goodbye to, who came all the way from their university to Bangkok to bring us around.

It was a memorable trip, and it wouldn't have been as wonderful if it wasn't for all of you :)

Atiqah
Bandar Bukit Raja, Klang.

2 comments:

beeRamza said...

where r u now? bcoz im in Bangi..

akunkbalikkelatemalenih said...

owh bangkok~ tp keno g bandung dlu kot b4 bangkok....bee jom!!